Planning a trip of a lifetime to India and looking for the best hotels in Darjeeling? Look no further!
Lori and I are super excited to bring you the ultimate list of the very best places to stay in and around this historic and captivating hill station in West Bengal.
Visitors have been coming to the “Queen of hill stations” for nearly two centuries, for its agreeable climate, world class tea estates, and breathtaking Himalayan views in the post-monsoon season.
Darjeeling offers a bustling, yet compact city center, friendly locals, and a variety of excellent restaurants, not to mention absolutely breathtaking seasonal views of the Kanchenjunga mountain range.
Whether you are planning a visit for a few days or a few weeks, you can’t go wrong with any one of the superb heritage hotels, luxury resorts, and tea estates on this list – thoroughly researched and freshly updated for 2021 & 2022!
So grab a cup of your favorite Darjeeling tea, and prepare to be impressed by the world class offerings on this list. No need to worry about looking for the perfect luxury stay in Darjeeling, because we’ve got that covered.
Here is our list of the 10 best hotels in Darjeeling for 2021 and beyond. Enjoy!
Best Hotels in Darjeeling
|Top 5 Sneak Peak|
When it comes to resorts and spas, tea estates, or luxury 5-star hotels in Darjeeling, there’s no shortage of options. So many well-reviewed and highly-ranked places to stay in Darjeeling — it’s difficult to choose just one.
Here’s a sneak peek at our Top 5:
- Overall Top Choice – Cedar Inn
- Best 5 Star Hotel in Darjeeling – Mayfair Darjeeling
- Best for Families – Udaan Dekeling Resort
- Best Selection of View Rooms – Hotel Villa Everest
- Best Tea Estate Stay – Ging Tea House
Keep reading for our complete list with all the details!
Also, be sure to check out our guide to riding the Himalayan Railway (aka Darjeeling Toy Train), packed with lots of helpful information for getting the best price on tickets and what to expect.
10 Best Hotels in Darjeeling, India
|The Complete List|
Finding the absolute best hotels in Darjeeling will be a breeze with this list of top stays.
Whether you are looking to stay close to the center of the action (Darjeeling Mall), perch yourself on a hill with breathtaking Himalayan views, or take a step back in time on a tea estate, you’ll find it all below.
Use our helpful custom map of best hotels in Darjeeling to refer back to as you browse the list below. Each number on the map corresponds to the ranking of the properties on our list (click to view name). Scroll around or zoom out to view #5, #7, and #9.
1) Cedar Inn | Overall Best Hotel in Darjeeling
- Location: Jalapahar Road, below St. Paul’s School
- To Chowrasta Mall: 1.4 km / 22 min walk
- To Railway Station: 1.2 km / 16 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: Exceptional, from select rooms
Nestled among evergreen trees on a hillside offering spectacular mountain views, Cedar Inn takes our number one spot for best hotel in Darjeeling, India.
This 4-star boutique hotel offers visitors old-world charm with handcrafted woodwork, with all of the amenities you’d expect in a luxury stay.
Cedar Inn is just close enough to the center to enjoy the bustling heart of Darjeeling, while being just far enough away to bask in peace and serenity.
2) Mayfair Darjeeling | Best 5-Star Hotel in Darjeeling
- Location: Mall Road, opposite Governor House
- To Chowrasta Mall: 1 km / 15 min walk
- To Railway Station: 1.6 km / 20 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: None, but offers beautiful territorial views
Widely considered the grand dame of Darjeeling, the Mayfair Darjeeling offers world-class service in an elegant heritage property set on a serene wooded hill.
This 5-star hotel in Darjeeling is a favorite among luxury travelers and repeat visitors, boasting an excellent spa, well-appointed suites, and one of the best restaurants in town.
Mayfair Darjeeling caters to luxury travelers across the spectrum, making this one of the best hotels in Darjeeling for business travelers, honeymooners, and families.
Waking up to birdsong and crisp mountain air is guaranteed to refresh the senses!
3) Udaan Dekeling Resort | Best Stay for Families
- Location: Hawk’s Nest near Alpine School
- To Chowrasta Mall: 1.4 km / 16 min walk
- To Railway Station: 900 m / 11 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: Exceptional, from select rooms & main lawn
Udaan Dekeling Resort is another exceptional luxury heritage property positioned to take advantage of spectacular views of Kanchenjunga and surroundings.
Rooms feature rich wooden floors, fireplaces, and luxurious amenities, and there are multiple fine dining options onsite.
Offering seven spacious, elegant, and well-appointed family rooms, Udaan Dekeling Resort is also our number one choice among best hotels in Darjeeling for families.
With so many comforts of home, choice amenities, and world class service, set against a spectacular backdrop, you may truly never want to leave!
4) Hotel Villa Everest | Best Selection of View Rooms
- Location: AJC Bose Road
- To Chowrasta Mall: 1.2 km / 14 min walk
- To Railway Station: 900 m / 9 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: Exceptional, every room
Situated among a stunning tea garden landscape, Hotel Villa Everest is a family-run heritage hotel offering a homey atmosphere and Old World charm at every corner.
Take a step back in time strolling the halls and grounds of this masterfully-restored 19th century villa, once the summer home of the Mayor of Calcutta (Kolkata).
And enjoy spectacular views of Kanchenjunga and surroundings on a clear day from every room.
5) Ging Tea House | Best Tea Estate Stay
- Location: Lebong Valley
- To Chowrasta Mall: 5.4 km / 30 min drive
- To Railway Station: 6.6 km / 40 min drive
- Kanchenjunga View: From select rooms and main tea garden
Ging Tea House offers luxury accommodation, world class service, and the comfort of home in one of the oldest tea plantations around Darjeeling.
Dating from 1864 and now tastefully restored, the Tea House was one of the first colonial tea planter’s residences in the region.
Take in the breathtaking Himalayan views, soak up the sunrise on Tiger Hill, and wonder the 600 hectares of tea estate as you take a step back in time.
Take a break from the demands of modern life as you reconnect with nature in this one of a kind property that has earned its reputation as one of the best hotels in Darjeeling.
6) Sinclairs Darjeeling | Centrally Located & Views
- Location: Gandhi Road
- To Chowrasta Mall: 750 m / 8 min walk
- To Railway Station: 350 m / 5 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: From common balconies
Looking for a central location offering luxury service and amenities with some of the best views of Kanchenjunga in the area? Sinclairs Darjeeling is all that at more!
This superb property located just minutes away Chowrasta and central Darjeeling’s best restaurants and top attractions offers 46 rooms and suites that exude Victorian charm and elegance alongside modern features and amenities.
A long-time favorite for business travelers, corporate functions, and honeymooners visiting the area.
7) Singtom Tea Estate | Scenic 19th Century Private Estate
- Location: PO North Point
- To Chowrasta Mall: 6.2 km / 35 min drive
- To Railway Station: 6.4 km / 40 min drive
- Kanchenjunga View: From select rooms and main terrace
Built in 1862, Singtom Tea Estate is the world’s oldest tea estate-resort and an exceptional heritage luxury stay nestled among 1,600 acres of private estate.
Escape the hustle and bustle of central Darjeeling as you relax among the serenity of your surroundings and pamper yourself.
Visit Darjeeling for the day, then return to a stunning and storied oasis offering panoramic views of the world’s highest mountain range.
Truly one of the best hotels in Darjeeling for a unique, refreshing, and rejuvenating stay!
8) Summit Swiss Heritage Hotel & Spa | Best Hotel Spa & Guest Favorite
- Location: Gandhi Road, near Circuit House
- To Chowrasta Mall: 1 km / 12 min walk
- To Railway Station: 500 m / 6 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: From select rooms and main terrace
An exceptional heritage property and favorite among travelers to Darjeeling for decades, Summit Swiss offers a taste of history and luxury at affordable rates.
Located just minutes away from Mall Road, Summit Swiss offers an oasis in the heart of the city with easy access to Darjeeling’s best restaurants and tourist sights.
Choose from a variety of bright and spacious rooms, including heritage rooms, suites, and family cottages. Take advantage of an array of onsite amenities including an excellent restaurant and spa.
Easily one of the best hotels in Darjeeling for value!
9) Sterling Darjeeling | Superb Family & Activity Oriented Hotel & Spa
- Location: Ghoom Monastery Road
- To Chowrasta Mall: 7.3 km / 30 min drive
- To Railway Station: 6.1 km / 25 min drive
- Kanchenjunga View: Exceptional, from select rooms and restaurant
Set in the charming neighborhood of Ghum (Ghoom) Heritage Railway Station, at the highest point in Darjeeling district, Sterling Darjeeling offers cool morning air and amazing views of Kanchenjunga.
Take advantage of luxury amenities and an onsite holiday activity center. Choose from 101 well-appointed rooms, many of them offering commanding views of the Kanchenjunga Range on a clear day.
Enjoy the convenience of hopping onto the Toy Train to Darjeeling for a quick and memorable ride to explore the city.
10) Summit Grace Hotel | Panoramic Views & Excellent Spa
- Location: Dr. Zakir Hussain Road
- To Chowrasta Mall: 1.5 km / 19 min walk
- To Railway Station: 1.2 km / 15 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: Top floor rooms and common balconies
From the same folks that brought you Summit Swiss (#8), Summit Grace Hotel is also consistently rated one of the best hotels in Darjeeling at an affordable price.
Breathtaking panoramic views of the Himalayan mountains, elegant wood-furnished rooms, and top-notch service might make you think you’ve booked a 5-star hotel for a steal!
BONUS! Ramada by Wyndham Darjeeling | Best International Hotel in Darjeeling
- Location: Auckland Villa, Gandhi Road
- To Chowrasta Mall: 500 m / 6 min walk
- To Railway Station: 600 m / 8 min walk
- Kanchenjunga View: From select rooms
While we wanted to keep this list largely focused on the best 5-star hotels, heritage boutique resorts, and tea estate stays, we didn’t want leave out the exceptional Ramada by Wyndham Darjeeling.
The Darjeeling Ramada caters largely to business travelers, but travelers across the spectrum will appreciate the level of service, amenities, and WiFi connectivity offered by this consistently highly-rated international hotel in the heart of Darjeeling located just 500 meters from Chowrasta and the main market.
Did We Miss Any of Your Favorite Darjeeling Hotels?
Let Us Know in the Comments!
We always enjoy writing helpful articles focused on exceptional stays in one-of-a-kind destinations, and this one is no exception!
Darjeeling is a very worthwhile place to base yourself for a number of days, offering unforgettable experiences you won’t find anywhere else.
It’s no wonder why many visitors end up staying for much longer than they planned and come back for more!
If you are planning a trip to Darjeeling, India, be sure to check out our other helpful article(s) for putting together the best travel itinerary possible!:
- Darjeeling Toy Train: Guide to Riding the Himalayan Railway
- India Travel Budget: We Track Every Rupee for 7 Weeks
Thanks for Reading Our List of the Very Best Hotels in Darjeeling, India!
Don’t forget to share this list of Darjeeling’s best places to stay with your favorite travel buddies!