Get our best travel tips & latest updates delivered straight to your inbox!
I’m David, and that’s Lori, Noe, and Riley
We like to explore new places. Sometimes, we stay for a few days. Other times, we stay for a few years. It all depends where life takes us.
Right now, Phnom Penh, Cambodia is where we’re calling home.
Between Lori and me, we’ve found ourselves in somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 countries over the past two decades.
We like to travel mindfully, which for us means staying in one place long enough to gain some meaningful sense of people and place and make memories there.
Often, people wonder how we finance our travels. Well, for us it’s all about simplicity.
We try to live simply, generally adhering to a strict budget. That’s the main thing.
We frequently opt for local transport and prefer to spend quality time in a few places rather than trying to see everything.
We love venturing off the beaten path and do so whenever we get the chance (though I’m a sucker for UNESCO sites and the beach).
But income does help. For that, we work, of course.
Currently, Lori is working for an international non-governmental organization (INGO) here in Phnom Penh on projects related to early childhood development (she’s a PT by trade).
In addition to being the founder, editor, and writer of this blog (AwayGoWe.com), I do consulting work in the international development/ foreign assistance sector as well.
The flexibility of my work allows me to spend a lot of time with my boys, which is awesome.
About Our Travel Blog – AwayGoWe.com
I started this travel blog in 2010 for the reasons most travelers started blogs a decade ago: To document our travels for ourselves, and stay in touch with family and friends.
Since then, AwayGoWe has evolved into a helpful resource for independent travelers, featuring honest and unbiased destination guides, gear reviews, how-to guides, and a healthy dose of travel inspiration.
Yet, this blog still very much remains a blog, where we regularly post trip reports, as well as dispatches from our every day lives as an expat family living in Southeast Asia.
Help Support This Project
If you like what you see on AwayGoWe, and you’d like to support the time and effort that goes into publishing quality, unbiased travel content and regular dispatches, it’s easy!
Simply Bookmark and Use Our Recommended Travel Resources Below.
Not only do we get a small cut of whatever you buy through these links (at no additional cost to you), we only partner with companies we regularly use ourselves and recommend to others.
Travel Planning Resources We Use & Recommend
- Booking.com — Best rates on lodging worldwide.
- Get Your Guide — Excellent tool for booking local guides and tours in advance for great rates.
- BookYogaRetreats.com — Book yoga retreats, holidays, and courses from 2,780 organizers worldwide.
- World Nomads — Top rated travel insurance that we've used for all our independent travels.
- 12Go — Top site for booking transport across Southeast Asia.
- NordVPN — Currently the best VPN out there for keeping your data secure safe online while traveling.
- Amazon.com — For your travel gear and anything else you can think of.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I'm also a member of other affiliate programs. For more info, please read our disclosure.
Dave's Travel Gear of the Week
++ Archive ++
Prices current as of date listed.
15 February 2020
- Backpacker Gear — World Travel Adapter Kit by Ceptics — Amazon: $34.99 $29.99
- Photo Gear — Panasonic Lumix ZS60K — Amazon: $399.99 $297.99
- Baby Gear — Ergobaby Omni 360 w/Cool Air Mesh — Amazon: $180 $139.81
31 January 2020